Tuesday 17 October 2017

"The judges decision is final

and no correspondence will be entered into" is usually how it is worded but people still want to know why their  undoubted masterpiece didn't win first prize.
I had an email from someone yesterday. I had asked for "feedback" about the knitting and crochet section in the state's major show. When I asked the Secretary of the organisation I belong to I said, rather bluntly perhaps, that I didn't think the group deserved to be allowed to give any feedback. They had barely participated. But, if they wanted to say something then I would listen.
It took a while and the response on their behalf came from the Treasurer rather than the Secretary or the President. Still, it was a response.
There was a complaint that the website is not user friendly. Fair enough. I didn't try it myself as I don't enter things - being a steward makes that impossible.  Still, if it is a problem then it is likely to be a problem right across the event. They can do something about that.
Then there was a complaint that the judging "lacked transparency". I can guess what that means. "We don't know who the judges are. How can we complain about the judging if we don't know who they are?"
More than once I have been asked who the judges are. My answer has always been that I have been asked not to divulge that information. It isn't a popular answer. I get criticised for not telling people but it isn't something I can do. If people disagree with the decision of the judges they can do one of several things. They can complain in writing - but please give some valid reasons for your complaint. They can offer to do the judging. Yes, that will involve some work.  Or they can improve the standard of their work.
But, hang on - the complaint about the lack of transparency was coming from people who didn't even enter anything. Why are they concerned about the very professional standard of judging?
There was also a complaint about the size which was allowed for something. If the class allowed for a little larger would more people actually enter? I doubt it but, give a good reason, and those responsible for the schedule might come at it.
And there was also a complaint because the schedule had not kept up with modern trends in knitting and crochet. I did some homework on that one. I looked at other, similar shows in other parts of the country. I couldn't see anything that was different that should be considered - in fact the local event seems to be much more flexible and allow a much wider variety of items to be entered. I came to the conclusion it wasn't the schedule but those who enter who are not keeping up with current trends. The judge would have been delighted to see some really up to date and interesting work. 
I have responded to the person who emailed me asking for more detail. I will be very interested in the response - if I get one. 
THIS IS A POSTSCRIPT written on 18/10/2017
I have been severely criticised for writing the above post and for a general failure to help. Perhaps I could have been a little kinder but I did think I was being fair. It is sometimes easy to be misunderstood when writing something like this. I genuinely believed I had helped when asked and I don't believe I should be criticised because I refuse to divulge information I was asked to keep confidential. Cat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This year, it happened that I knew a couple of the judges at the Bendigo Show. They have been meticulous in doing the judging before acknowledging that they were judges and, I have no doubt, would not enter into individual discussion directly with anyone about it.

I have also met a couple of their stewards who both remarked on the very high and detailed standards of care and attention the judges gave to the entries. They both said they had learnt so much by being stewards.

Surely any comments and questions about judging should be done through the organizers.

LMcC

Jodiebodie said...

I'm surprised that anyone would even consider contacting the judges - as specified in the rules and at the top of your blog entry "no correspondence will be entered into."

As a first-time entrant, I was confused about appropriate categories and frustrated about a lack of information provided to entrants about that and judging criteria. (How does one know what to submit if no one knows what we are being judged for?) I put that down to lack of experience on my part and will know better next time. I would have liked to have given feedback from a 'newbie's' perspective but if there is no channel for correspondence, that is the end of the matter and I was perfectly happy to accept that - after all that is part of the terms and conditions.

I was shocked to read your story about people who haven't even bothered to enter thinking that they have a right to complain! How absurd!

Like many artistic pursuits, there will always be subjective elements as well as skills that can be measured objectively. Crafters enter these contests knowing that there will be subjectivity and with that in mind, the judges' decision needs to be accepted. I figure that if you don't like the terms and conditions, don't enter!

It is a coincidence that you have posted about this topic today because I was just about to publish my Royal Show experience on my blog! (Lupey Loops)

I gave you a mention and linked to some of your blog posts (including this one) so I hope that is okay with you. If not, do let me know and I can change things.

I admire the time and energy you give to support the crafting community in SA.

Jodiebodie said...

P.S. about websites: yes, there was a facility to use the show's website to enter online but the show still offered 'offline' entries as well; i.e. entering with a paper form by the post. Your complainants might discover that other major shows around the country offer the same. Surely, if someone is not computer literate, they can telephone the relevant organisation and have the information sent out to them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.